World War II Memorial Plaza
Dedicated in November, 1997, the purpose of this memorial is to honor all those who served so valiantly during World War II and to provide posterity with knowledge about the compelling reason for the involvement of the United States in the war . . . “The preservation of freedom around the world.”
The centerpiece of the “Freedom Flame” monument is a 50-foot-high stainless steel stylized flame. Leading up to the flame is “Freedom Walk,” a walkway through time, beginning with Pearl Harbor. The plaza floor is comprised of a global map showing the five major theaters of operation. The “Wall of Memories,” is an appropriate backdrop for the freedom Flame. The total cost of this monument was $735,000 – a sum which includes a fund to ensure the memorial’s future maintenance.
Incorporated in the World Ward II Memorial Plaza is the Pearl Harbor Memorial. The Iowa Pearl harbor Veterans’ Association, Inc., formed a committee to erect a memorial on the grounds of the capitol in honor of Iowans who made the supreme sacrifice during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, and in honor of the survivors of the attack. The committee requested permission to place a memorial on the grounds in January, 1991, and was able to raise the funds and erect the memorial. It was dedicated on Veterans’ Day, November 11, 1991.